Monday, August 27, 2007

Return from my short retirement

Today I began my work. It seemed to surprise everyone in my office, who thought I wasn’t starting until sometime in September. No one but Bradford were expecting me, and he of course doesn’t get in until the afternoon. So they all scrambled around to find stuff for me to read and get my computer set up. Margaret (who was the CSTE fellow before me) was really helpful at giving me resources and setting me up with different projects.

To start with I’ll be working on this on-line course taught by a professor out of the University of Illinois, Chicago (I thought I’d finished this class stuff). The course is part of a CDC training for the state public health workforce. For the course I’m working with a few other people in my department (MCH (Maternal and Child Health) Epidemiology) and investigating maternal depression during and following pregnancy (for epi folks, using PRAMS). I also got into contact with the head of the Epi unit, who is going to let me participate in the next outbreak investigation. Apparently there are more outbreaks during the summer (which ends with August). After meeting with Bradford I have a number of options of projects that I can design. He’s letting me do a little research into the topics before I decide which ones to do. All in all it was a pretty interesting day. I haven’t hit up websudoku yet….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had my first day of work today...so tiring, mostly because it was very overwhelming not knowing where to start! So when it was time to go work on my room I just grabbed the bottle of spray cleaner and a rag to get started cleaning tables and countertops...it didn't involve a lot of thinking and it has to happen anyway! I need to figure out how many tables I need because there are way to many of them in my room. If I only have 20 students total, and they won't all be there at once, it doesn't make sense to have spots for all of them. And then there are the cabinets of stuff...

Did you put the picture on your desk?

molly said...

Em and N -- looks like you had a really fun trip with lots of beautiful scenery! Sounds like you'll be doing and seeing interesting stuff up there. Can't wait to visit!