Monday, November 12, 2007

Refugee Nation

This Saturday I went to a play that a coworker was recruiting people to see. It was about the Lao-American community in the US, and their stories. Apparently there are around 2,000 Hmong in Anchorage. So these three people have been working on developing this project where they travel around and talk to Lao refugees and incorporate their stories into the play. It was somewhat interesting, but I thought the stories seemed pretty typical of immigrant groups. And they painted a picture that made it seem as though no one in America knows that Laos is a country or where it is. Maybe I was too critical, because everyone in the audience really liked the show and gave it a standing ovation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if they ever had Pad Lao served by a woman with hair down to her butt.

Sarah said...

I guess most people don't come from a big city with lots of immigrants. I've come to discover that we know lots of things and have met lots of different kinds of people that people not from cities are oblivious to.