Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Steer manure and dirt

Two weekends ago we finally filled our garden beds with STEERCO (steer manure and soil). Grandpa Clave helped us out with a little man-power and letting us borrow his wheel-barrow. But really, I was the one who wheeled the dirt from the driveway to our back yard. Emily planted the beds with veggie seeds (mustard greens, lettuce, rainbow chard and peas). Abe liked helping out and digging in the dirt.

Grandpa Clave brought some mustard greens from his garden to plant in ours.
Emily showing Abe how it's done.
Abe liked helping out.
Dig, dig, dig!
Abe liked playing with the shovel that I used the move the dirt.
So when I was shoveling the dirt into the wheelbarrow with the above shovel, I thought Abe was safely away from me. Then I got a scoop, turned to my left to put it into the wheelbarrow, when Abe had snuck between me and the wheelbarrow. So instead of dumping the dirt, I clipped Abe right by his eye on his head. The poor guy bounced off the wheelbarrow, and then fell in the giant dirt/manure pile. Good thing Mom was there to lift his spirits.
The bruise that resulted in the collision with the giant shovel. I was a little surprised there wasn't any blood. He's not worse for the wear.

5 comments:

Mom said...

Good documentation for CPS.

Lis said...

Ouch! Looks like a fantastic garden though! What fun. We have started ours. Unfortunately no more brocoli. Maddie dug it up.

Anonymous said...

AAAA

Anonymous said...

Hi Neil
This is Park from Suwon KOREA.
Me and my wife often surf your blog
I received your blog address from Scott.I did,nt know how to leave comment.Now I got it.My wife just made small beds for vegetables( lettice,red pepper,egg plant,green onion, Etc)in my appartment as your family did.We water them every morning same we have raised Sang hyun,Jung hyun as you have brough Abe up. Abe is very very Cute.I want to hug him. I am very happy to see delightful,happy mood in your family.I will keep in touch with you through your blog.
See you next time.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Neil
I'm mrs Park.
first, congratulate your marriage.
Your family look so happy and your son very cute.
Sometime I miss scott& neil.
You and scott remind me of the past.2002
Time goes by~ Sang hyun,Geong hyun
they have really grown up.
I'm very proud of my sons.
Inn hyae marry on the first of next month. Her husband is a good guy. I'm not some confident express in English.
See you