Wednesday, February 22, 2012

40 days of vegan


Today (ash wednesday) begins our 40 day journey to a whole foods plant based diet. The idea all started a few weeks ago when we watched "Forks over knives" a documentary about the subject. Needless to say it was quite convincing. Surprisingly Neil was really gung ho about it.

Our new diet gives us the opportunity to try new foods such as nutritional yeast, which Abe calls geese. (Personally I'm not a fan). We've also started drinking rice and soy milk. Abe really likes them both (Personally I'm not a fan).

But one thing that we did was visit our neighborhood tofu factory (I was a fan). I'd been wanting to try it ever since I read a Nancy Lesson article last fall about the art of tofu. The factory was didn't really have a store front, in fact we'd tried to visit it earlier but drove right past it (on MLK and Willow). But today we found it and lot's of tofu! For $8 we came away with 4 bricks and 2 batches of fried tofu. Next time I want to try the flavored ones they have. I saw a brick with green onions, and another with some sort of spices. (No one really spoke English, so it was a little confusing what we were actually getting. But, they were nice and gave us each a sample of hot dofu right out of the fryer.

1 comment:

Jimmy said...

Mary and I started doing plant based meals three times a week after watching that movie. I think we will pass on the soy and rice milk as well as the tofu though. Let me know how it works out for Neil.