Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I'm official

No, these aren't shoe-boxes. These hold the DNA of the convicted offenders of Alaska!
Here is the memo from our DNA technical manager deeming me properly trained.
Who is this goofy guy?
A CODIS analysts' best friend - the M48 Robotic Extraction machine.
I'm about to cut open these envelopes to access the buccal swabs.

As of last Thursday, I am an officially trained DNA analyst, able to process real-live convicted offender samples and upload them into CODIS. And since my beautiful wife was out of town, I celebrated by running said samples for 8 hours on Saturday, 7 hours on Sunday, and 8 hours on Monday (which are all my usual days off). I took these pictures of the lab while I was there all by myself on Sunday. I got to look at some of my data today, and it looks pretty good. It's nice to see the fruit of my hard work.

My lab had our holiday party/lunch-in today. It was a pot-luck (I made some lemon bars) and everyone made really good food. It was nice because Emily got to come too and she met a few of my co-workers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Neil, I am so proud of all your hard work. Protecting and serving the great state of Alaska. Now get your experience behind you and then bring all that knowledge back home to protect all of us here in Washington. See you soon. Ruth

Emily Locke said...

I never knew you were such a nerd. Well, actually I did.

Sarah said...

I'm assuming there is more than one sample per box...either that or there are only 11 known sex offenders in Alaska, which would not only make it the safest place to live, but would also leave you with very poor job security.

Sarah said...

I hope you guys can make it home today!

Emily Locke said...

There are about 150 samples per box. The buccal swab comes in an envelope, and there are about 150 envelopes per box. I'll take a picture sometime.

Jimmy said...

Hello fellow Med Tech. What kind of certification are you guys required to perform the work? Is it ASCP like us medical lab folks or do you guys do something different?

Emily Locke said...

We are ASCLAD/LAB accredited. And our DNA section gets audited by the FBI (not done by them, but for them, I guess) every other year.