Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Buffalo

Me with the falls in the background
The falls create quite a bit of mist.
You can see the high rises in Toronto
Down they go!
Buffalo was pretty much like a ghost town.

This past week I was in Buffalo, NY for the CSTE conference. I'm not so sure I'll be visiting Buffalo again any time too soon. Highlights include buffalo wings, roast beef on weck (a hot roast beef sandwitch on a roll with big grains of salt and caraway seeds with horse radish sauce), and Niagra Falls. The falls were pretty cool. I took the city bus out there, which seemed to be pretty easy. Unfortunately I didn't bring my passport so I couldn't walk across the bridge to Canada, but it was still fun. (Definately a lot more fun than sitting in the boring workshop.)

The conference itself was pretty good. I liked the plennary sessions, and there were a few interesting breakout sessions. My talk went okay, although people had a lot of hard questions afterwards. I felt like I was defending my thesis. And, we had graduation ceremony for our fellowship. We each got a little framed certificate, and Nicole the fellow in North Carolina won the special award that our class created to honor Hilary (my roommate in Atlanta who died suddenly).

1 comment:

Mom said...

I never knew that Toronto is that close to New York. You know Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (aka the yarn harlot) lives in Toronto.