Friday, August 20, 2010

What's more ALaskan than...

..eating dip netted salmon and hand picked blueberry crisp for dinner/dessert? That would be attending Uncle Ted's funeral. On Tuesday night I happened to be driving home right around the same time they were driving Ted Steven's body to the Anchorage Baptist Church for the funeral service the following day. I was really amazed to see so many people lining the street with signs and flags and cameras waiting to see the hurse drive by. So, with Neil's prodding, Abe and I walked over to the service the following day. The church was equipped to hold up to 4,000 people, but only around 2,000 got to sit in the sanctuary, so we headed over early. I was hoping that Abe would nap during the service, but instead he napped on the way over, so he was ready to go by the time the service was about to start. So, I walked outside in the hall with him. He was being very good, but he was cooing a little, and apparently this guy could hear him over the bag pipe music, so we left. But, the coolest part about this whole experience was that while Abe and I were walking down the street, Joe Biden's car pulled up and he and his aide walked out and walked along the street next to me. I kept looking at him (trying to figure out if it actually was him) and he would give me this little smirk.

Even though Neil and I helped campaign with Steven's opponent, it was neat to be a part of the memorial. He did a lot for the state, and as my grandma reminded me, a lot for himself as well.


Here's the ABT by our house. I think it's funny that it says that it's "a caring community church", since it was their congregation that so vehemently opposed to adding gays and lesbians to the anti-discrimination laws in Anchorage.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Christianity at its best!

Sarah said...

Someone's got to give Alaska it's bigoted reputation!

Jimmy said...

Will you be joining Levi's campaign in Wasilla??