Tuesday, May 27, 2008

First Day Fighting Crime

Today was my first day as a forensic scientist for the state of Alaska. There are three of us newbies - myself, Stacie, and Veronica. Stacie and I started today, Veronica is coming next week. My office is actually in the actual lab I'm going to be working in b/c the lab is so crunched for space. Which is kind of lame, b/c that means I can never eat at my desk.

Our supervisor, Michelle, gave us a tour of all of the different parts of the lab. The evidence room, the ballistics lab (there is a firing range, but we didn't see that), the DNA lab, the biologics lab (where they get the DNA off of clothing, etc.), latents, etc. I saw a car in a garage with a piece of paper on it that said "Evidence - do not touch". They were testing it for tire marks.

After the tour, Stacie and I filled out a mound of paperwork (it took about an hour and a half). Then we went out to lunch at this nice little cafe, and Michelle was nice enough to pick up the tab. We then went back to the lab and read all sorts of boring Quality Assurance and safety manuals and CRF's (that's Code of Federal Regulations).

I'll only have to do do this for a week before I fly back to Seattle next Tuesday afternoon for my impending surgery.

2 comments:

molly said...

Congrats on the first day Neil. Sounds like it will be a really interesting job! too bad about the DQ experience. although reading about blizzards made me really want one. but i can resist based on principle -- solidarity, sister!

Sarah said...

Congratulations Neil! No more house husband.

When you're in town for your surgery, let Katie and I know if you need company or want us to bring you ice cream or other treats!