Sunday, March 15, 2009

Snow Camping off Archangel Road

Emily, Banjo and I went snow camping with Jared, Kari and Rachel this weekend. We went to a place just off of Archangel Road, which is a snow-covered road on the way up to Hatcher Pass. We left right after work on Friday, finally getting out of Anchorage around 5pm. We arrived at the trailhead a little before 7 and packed our gear onto the 3 sleds that Jared borrowed.

Since Emily and I brought our XC ski's we skied on the road into our campsite. We headed down the road for about an hour (maybe going a little over a mile) and found a nice little spot just off the main road. I was pulling a sled behind me and skiing, which proved pretty difficult at time, especially when I was trying to go up hills. To be fair, I did have a good deal of weight on my sled, like our 15-foot Christmas tree chopped up, my backpack, our tent, etc. So I was always the straggler.

Emily and I had some yummy campfire-pizzas that we made in our pudge iron. But the fire was pretty lame because it kept sinkiing down in the deep snow pack. It got pretty cold during the night, probably down around zero. Emily was nice and warm b/c she had two extra blankets on her. I was a litle colder and didn't get much sleep. But we had a great time the next day.
Neil, Jared, Kari and Rachel hiking into our campsite.
Neil doing his best sled-dog impersonation. The sled was heavy and hard to pull uphill. Especially since the sled would pull me back down the hill sometimes.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Better watch out or the peanut will be born with a layer of blubber and some down like a penguin!

Mom said...

That sounds like fun. Too cold for me though. You guys do keep busy in the great out doors even when it may be so cold to bite you in the butt.