Friday, November 27, 2009

A happy thanksgiving indeed!

The finished product.


Carving the bird.
Waiting for scraps.

After the marathon of cooking that started Wednesday, our thanksgiving dinner was quite tasty. We had a great meal, and so much to be thankful for: Little Abe turned 3 months, Scott came up to visit us, Uncle Stuart got to go home from the hospital, and 5 new inches of snow! It really was an all day cooking event. In the morning I got up to go to swimming (exercising to maximize thanksgiving enjoyment later in the day is a must!) while Neil got the rolls ready (I had made the dough earlier in the week), and whipped up the pumpkin pie filling. When I got back it was go time! First pies, then rolls, followed by gravy, turkey, sticky rice, mashed potatoes, stuffing, yams, cranberry sauce (mmmm...I'm never going back to the canned stuff. Making it with fresh berries was so easy and quite tasty.), and beats. Everything was really tasty, although I didn't think the gravy was worth all of the effort, and the turkey turned out a bit dry. But, not bad for a first attempt. And the best part of it all: Leftovers! This morning I had a nice piece of pumpkin pie (good job Neil) and some sticky rice (good job me).

Grub.
Even a card table can make a nice thanksgiving table.
Now that's a plate!
Uncle Scott and Abe. (Abe with a look of "oh no! please don't eat me!")
The happy family sit down for their first thanksgiving meal together!

No comments: