Monday, November 9, 2009

Vaccines and shots do not equal a happy baby

This last Saturday we took Abe in to get his first series of shots. Three in all, with another vaccine given orally. Two nurses gave him the shots at the same time, in each leg. He did remarkably well, barely making a sour face when they poked them. Five minutes later it seemed he hardly remembered what had happened.
Later Saturday we Emily, Abe and I were off to a DNA party at my co-workers house. We were just going to eat some good food, hang out, and play some games. But right before we were about to leave Emily started to not feel well (I was violently ill on Wednesday, and it seemed like Emily was starting to come down with what I had). So she and Abe stayed home while I went to party.
I called during the party to see how Emily was doing, and she said something to the effect like "Abe remembered that he had his shots today. He's been fussy since he left." So I came home a little while later with some infant Tylenol. Long story shot, Abe's temp got as high as 102.8 during the night. We called a nurse, and she said that the high temp was normal (b/c of his shots) but that we could keep it under control with the Tylenol.
But Abe didn't like to sleep in his crib that night. And since Emily wasn't feeling well and didn't want to get Abe sick, that meant I had Abe duty all night. And Abe didn't even like to sleep in my arms when I sat down. Which mean I had to talk around a lot. Which I did from from 2:45 AM until 5. Then I could lay down. So I watch some Netflix (I am Legand) and some LOST.
Sunday and Monday were pretty low-key. I took care of Abe while Emily got better. We did have our first substantial snow Sunday night. Which means I really need to get the studs on the car.
Here is Abe sporting two of this Crayola band-aids on this leg. He was such a trooper.
Abe received a little present from his friend Oliver - a plant pot! No, it's actually a little tub for a baby, but shaped so they can kind of sit up. He seemed to enjoy it a bunch.
While Abe liked the new tub, it doesn't have the best design for actually cleaning the boy. Oh well.

3 comments:

Mom said...

That is just the cutest boy in the world. I am glad that things are looking better now. Good thing Neil was home to help out. Gotta get some of those pictures.

Lis said...

Love the tub shots. That's a cute idea. I am sure babies love it-they're not freezing for once! Getting sick with a baby sucks. Hope Abe manages to avoid it.

Teresa said...

Oh my gosh, I just saw these little tubs the other day at a European store. The woman who worked there said the tubs are extremely popular in Europe; everyone knows about them. On a side note, I cut my foot in Hawaii and was sporting one of those crayon band-aids. :)