Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Anniversary weekend

All day Saturday I had to work hard to keep myself busy so that I stayed entertained until Neil arrived at midnight (which turned out to be 1am). Unfortunately the weather outside was pretty bad and rainy, so I went to see Hairspray. It was an absolutely wonderful movie! I loved it. Then in the evening Meghan had a bunch of friends over for salmon chowder, so I hung out with them and listened to stories about helicopter flying and forest fires.

On Sunday Neil and I packed a lunch and headed south of Anchorage to Girdwood, which is a small town about 45 minutes from here. We went hiking on the Winner Creek trail out towards a glacier. But, because of the rain it wasn't until the following day that we realized how big the glacier actually was. After our hike we checked into the Hidden Creek B&B, which was pretty nice. The family just built the house last year so everything was very clean and cozy. We stayed in the enchanted forest room. I don't know what bed and breakfasts are normally like, but this one was really nice, although a little hokey. For dinner we went to the Double Musky (voted best steak in America by the food network). The food really wasn't my cup of tea, but it was tasty. Neil had a pepper steak and I had crab stuffed halibut. The food was creole themed and the place was decorated accordingly.

Monday was my first "flex" day. So I had the day off to play. After a very tasty breakfast, complete with reindeer sausage, we went to the Aleyska Resort in Girdwood, which has a tram that takes people up to the top of Mt. Alyeska. At the top of the lift we were able to hike around a bit and make our way up to a big glacier. It was pretty cool being so close, although I was getting a little vertigo.

Today Neil came and had lunch with me at work and then hung out in my office a bit before I took him to the airport. Apparently on the drive to the airport Anchorage experienced a point 4 earthquake. I was sad to see him go, because we had such a fun weekend. But, soon enough I'll be in Atlanta and then back in Seattle for the weekend. Tonight I also started a master's swim class. It was fun to get back to swimming again, and it is nice because the pool is a saltwater pool, so no icky chlorine smells.

I'll try to put pictures from our trip up sometime later this week. I'm too sleepy right now. We have a bunch of neat wildlife ones from a wildlife preserve that we visited. (The bears were so playful and cute.)

2 comments:

molly said...

Happy Anniversary Em and N!!!

Elliot said...

"Apparently on the drive to the airport Anchorage experienced a point 4 earthquake."

I never would have guessed that the entire city of Anchorage would miss Neil so much!