Saturday, October 27, 2007

wildlife encounters

So I thought I'd share a call that was received at the health department. (Every time there is a suspected rabies contact the public can call in to this hotline that the public health nurses take turns answering.) Earlier this week they received a call from a woman who was out walking her dog in Eagle River (a suburb of Anchorage), when she was shocked by a sharp pain to the buttocks. It turned out that a mom grizzly bear was out walking with her cubs and she decided it would be fun to take a nip. (This story reminds me of grandma's encounter with the dog.) So they were calling in to see whether or not she was at risk for rabies.

Being that the only other news in Alaska is the corrupt government officials, the lady's story made it onto the front page of the newspaper. And no, she didn't need to get a rabies vaccine.

By the way, I had my first moose-in-the-city encounter the other day. I was hopping in my car to go to swimming and the next door neighbors had three moose chilling out in their yard nibbling on a tree. It was quite a shock to see. I think it was a mom and two calves.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

The animals sound like lots of fun, when they aren't taking a chomp out of someone!

Grampy came home from the hospital yesterday and is doing quite well. He's been in a great mood since arriving home. And his room is sparkling. Grandma cleaned the whole thing...you've never seen it look so good!