Friday, March 28, 2008

A reason to wake up


Today was a great day, because at long last, I had my first job interview in Alaska! It was with the Department of Public Safety, at the Alaska State Crime Lab. The position is a forensic scientist, working with the DNA unit. My interview was at 9am, but I was up before 7. I took a shower and put on my suit and tie (minus the jacket), and was all ready to go by 7:15. Too bad Emily and I weren't leaving for more than an hour. I was pretty nervous, so I didn't eat any breakfast, and I watched an episode of LOST to try and calm me down. It didn't work too well.

We finally left, and I dropped Emily off at her work and then drove to the interview. I was parked by 8:35, but didn't want to seem too eager so I stayed in my car until 8:45. I met with two very nice ladies, Jill and Michelle, and they conducted the interview.

It was one of the oddest interviews I've ever had. They gave me a piece of laminated paper that had 9 questions on it. They told me to look it over, get some ideas, and then tell them when I was ready to start. Most of the questions weren't really about qualifications or skills, but were situational. Here are some examples:

-If a co-worker was listening to a talk-radio station in the lab that you found offensive, how would you respond?
-You always walk into a room and find two co-workers talking badly about a third co-worker. What would you do?

Kind of weird if you ask me. The interview barely lasted 45 minutes, but I think it went really well. There are 3 positions open, so hopefully I'll get a call back in a few weeks!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Maybe they've had a lot of social problems and that's why they asked you all of those questions.

Good luck Neil! We hope you get the job!

molly said...

Congrats on the interview Neil! Sounds like a cool job. I am sure you will find the right position.