Monday, February 4, 2008

Arctic Investigations

These past few days at work I've been helping out with a study for the Arctic Investigations Program. We hang out in this pediatrician's office and recruit kids to enroll in the study. It's fairly painless. Their parent completes a short questionnaire and then they get a q-tip shoved up their nose to check to see if they have a pnuemo germ up there. Then in return they get $25. The enrollment is somewhat boring--although it's fun to be out of the office and talking to people. But they've guaranteed me that if I help out with recruitment here in town I can go out to the villages with them while they do the study there. Here in Anchorage we only accept kids 3 months to <5 years old. But in the villages the whole family can enroll. Apparently it gets pretty crazy, which is why they like for you to practice in the slower paced environment first.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Who wouldn't want to have a q-tip shoved in their nose for $25?! Sounds pretty good to me! $25 would buy me a Barack Obama t-shirt!