Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy St Valentine's Day!






This Valentines Day began like any other Saturday.  We got up super early to go to Neil's basketball, and then I left to go swim.  After swimming I picked up Neil and he Kari and Jared and I went out for some breakfast at Lily's Diner.  It was pretty tasty.  I couldn't decide between the special, which was reindeer sausage eggs benedict, or the cheese blintzes.  About 6 months ago we attempted to make cheese blintzes at home one morning, but it ended very badly, because the crepes just stuck to the stupid pan so I got mad and threw all the batter and filling away.  I'd wanted to try them ever since.

So, being the standup Valentine that he is, Neil offered to get the reindeer meal and I got the blintzes and we shared.  Both were really tasty.  Our overall verdict was that we'd definitely return (perhaps for dinner so Jared can get his liver and onions).  After breakfast we came back home and started getting ready for our Valentines Day Feast Extravaganza.  

We decided that instead of maneuvering the crowds and going out to eat we'd cook a fancy dinner at home.  Originally I was going to make dessert and Neil would be in charge of dinner.  But, then he couldn't think of what to make, so we decided to recreate some dishes we'd made on previous Valentines days.  

Valentine's Day Menu
Stuffed BL (bacon and Lettuce) cherry tomatoes
Rosemary Focacia Bread
Spinach Salad with tangerine pineapple vinegrette
Dungeness Crab Cakes
Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie
Ginger Beer

We were busy cooking the entire afternoon.  Everything was pretty tasty.  Especially the crab cakes, which used an entire two whole crabs.  I didn't really like the dessert that much, because it was really rich, but Neil gave it 4 out of 5 stars.  
Now it is time for me to return to beating Neil at 2 handed pinoccle.





2 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow. Your dinner looks quite delightful!

I'll see you in the morning! Don't forget to come get me at 12:30! I'll call you when I get off of the plane. Then I'll have to go to baggage claim for my suitcase.

molly said...

You two are too cute.