Saturday, February 21, 2009

Seizure and a haircut - two bits

Starting in January our Saturday routine has been to wake up around 6:30am so I can make it to my 7am basketball game at the Mormon church, and then Emily goes and swims at 8. But my team had a bye this week, so I got to sleep in.

But my rest was interrupted when Banjo made some strange burping-like sounds. I got up to let him outside, but he had a little vomit before he made it out. It looked like the one he had back in December, so I knew he was about to have another seizure. Sure enough, when I ran outside to see the poor 'Dood, he was on his side and non-responsive. But this time I didn't freak out as much, so I noticed that he was still breathing, and I swore his eyes were looking at me. My bare feet got cold (I was just in my pajamas) so I went inside to put on my new slippers that Sarah got for me. By the time I was going outside, Banjo was at the kitchen door, waiting to come in.

When we took Banjo in to the vet for his yearly check-up two weeks ago, she said that if the seizures are more than 6 weeks apart they usually don't do anything about them because the medication has such bad side effects. These two were probably 8 weeks apart. We just want the 'Dood to get better.

After Emily got home, we decided that Banjo needed a haircut. He likes to roll around in the snow a lot, which is why his fur has tons of dreadlocks in them. The fur was too tough to use the guard with our clippers, which he normally do, so we took off the guard and free-styled. Well, let's just say that we got a lot better by the time we were done cutting Banjo. With Emily's first swipe with the un-guarded blade, she took off a little more than she thought. I'm guessing you can spot where it was. We like to call it Banjo's airstrip.

It took over an hour to trim him up, and we filled up the garbage can in our bathroom with his doodle-fur.
Banjo after his haircut, where he likes to hang.
Can you spot Emily's first attempt at using the clippers without the guard?
Banjo needed to take a water break. Check out his two different legs.
Zooooom!
Up close. We still need to trim his face a bit.
We put peanut butter in his red kong to keep him still. We let him finish it off afterwards as a reward.

2 comments:

Mom said...

You need to work on your shaving technique. Poor boy looks a little choppy with a racing stripe down his back. There are groomers for dogs you know. Don't want to embarrass him. What is with this seizure business? I didn't think we got him from a puppy mill. He is supposed to be healthy.

Sarah said...

I'm glad you shaved off all of his dreds. Poor puppy with his seizures. Perhaps he was sad that I left.

I was just watching something on TV tonight about people seeling "designer dogs" (including all of the poodle mixes), by just combining the 2 dog breeds, rather than including genetic testing, which I guess is what good "real" breeders do. They said there can be all sorts of genetic problems by just combining the 2 breeds. I hope that's not what's going on with Banjo!