Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Portage Bay - Part I

On Tuesday I went into work early (6:30am) so I could analyze my data for a few hours. Then we went out to Snow City Cafe, which is one of the better breakfast/lunch places in Anchorage. It's a place that I could see doing well on Capital Hill or something.

After breakfast we drove to Portage Bay, which is about an hour and a half south of Anchorage. There is a visitor's center that talks about the glaciers in the area. It was closed, and there was so much snow in the parking lot we had to turn around to get back out.

We decided to hike to Byron Glacier, which is only a 0.8 mile hike. But we couldn't drive to the trialhead because the road was under about 10 feet of snow. So we had to snowshoe in just to make it to the trailhead. It was probably on about a mile or so. But we had to break our own trail, which wasn't too hard, put a little deeper in some parts.


Banjo is always ready to go for a hike. Backpack: check. Dog boots: check.It's hard to see, but you can see the top of our Explorer in the middle of the picture, just over teh snow. This picture was taken on top of the snow-covered road.
Here is a picture looking down onto the car.
cEmily and Sarah coming back from our long trip.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Looks like a lot of snow. What is Sarah doing hugging the ground? You must have worked up an appetite.

Sarah said...

If you click on the picture (to enlarge it), you will see that I am climbing up the snow pile to get over to the car. It was piled up from the plowing.

(I must wonder that at first I was wondering why I didn't remember falling at the end of the hike.)