Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The best (or at least most unique) birthday present ever

Today was another day of nose swabs in Savoonga. I'm so tired and my feet are killing me, but I got probably the strangest birthday present today for myself. Pepsi, one the health aids are the clinic had her dad come in for the study. He also brought in a carving. It's really cool it has a walrus on one end and a polar bear on the other end made out of ivory. The best part is the middle. Spanning about 2 feet in the middle is this really long oocick (walrus penis bone)! It will seem a little strange carrying it back to Anchorage on the plane, but I'm really pleased with my purchase. I also bought a little ivory ring and another walrus type carving made of balene and ivory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too didn't realize that I could have sent B Day greeting on the REAL day...but I listen to you messages on you cell and you find songs from the heart!!! Your unique carving will be the center of all your art collection for the rest of your life!!

Mom said...

I hope you send a picture of this interesting art. I am having a hard time envisioning it. I thought it was against the law to have ivory.