Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Monday - April 20th - More beaches, Matsumoto's and Waikiki

At Monday we hit the road at 8am. We picked up Kari and Jared from Marty's and we were headed to the north shore. We met up with one of Jared's friends - a really nice local named Ponzi. We all went to a state beach to hang out. Kari, Jared and Ponzi surfed for a little bit. Emily and I jumped around in the water (the waves were tamer for Emily). Emily and I attempted to snorkel, but couldn't really see much. Even when we were hanging out in the water this guy next to us said there was a sea turtle about 20 feet away from us.
We then left for some lunch at local spot. Emily had a grilled cheese, shrimp, and garlic butter sandwich. Needless to say it was too rich for her, so I finished her other half. I had some chicken, short ribs and shrimp. I gave Emily the rest of mine.
The beach we went to after lunch was Chun's Beach. Let's just say it wasn't the greatest beach for us. It was extremely windy. Like crazy windy. Jared, Kari and Ponzi surfed for a bit, which is why they wanted to go there. I don't think Emily or I even went into the water. I kind of took a nap on my towel and woke up with a pretty wicked sunburn on my arms. It was the worst burn I got all trip, and it was gone in a few days.
On the way back to Honolulu we stoped off at world-famous Matsumoto's Shave Ice. Ponzi swears it's the best shave ice there is. Emily and I went away happy customers. I mean, who doesn't like condenced milk on ice? Ponzi was nice enough to treat us to our treat.
There is our ride for our Hawaiian adventure - 2009 Ford Taurus. It had tons of room, a trunk that the mob would love, and an overall great car. The only downside was that is had a turning radius worse than our Explorer. By a lot.
We also stopped by the Dole Plantation. This lady is giving a demonstration on how to properly cut a pineapple. Needless to say I did incorrectly the night before in our studio. But that's because I didn't have the fancy bendy knife!
Here I am amist many different variations of pineapple plants.
Emily, Kari and Jared enjoying some yummy roasted corn. I couldn't take part :-(

After dinner we walked around Waikiki with Kari and Jared. We saw some of the street performers . There was a guy who just wears a giant Elmo costume (and apparently he makes bank), a really cool spray-paint artist, a guy who dribbles lots of basketballs, palm readers, etc. One of the funniest things you see are people trying to get you to go the the Honolulu gun club to shoot assault rifles. All of their stuff is in Japanese.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Your making me hungry first with the shave ice and then with the corn on the cob. Yum.