Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Greetings from Savoonga

I'm writing this from St. Lawrence Island in the village of Savoonga, right in the middle of the Berring Sea. It's really cool out here, although it's still winter time. I've been helping out with the same study that I did last year--where we enroll people to get their noses swabbed. We got in on Monday afternoon, and worked really hard until around 7pm and then today we worked from 8am -7pm. So far we've gotten 447 noses. There are between 700 and 800 people living in Savoonga, so we've done pretty well so far. It's all voluntary, so we expect to get another 100 or so tomorrow (on my birthday!).

This evening we took a walk along the road to see the Berring sea. It was pretty neat, because a bunch of the men went out walrus hunting today. We saw one man burring 2 baby walrus carcuses in the snow to be cut up later. I took a bunch of pictures. There a quite a few people selling ivory carvings and baleen things too. I'm going to bring my money to the clinic tomorrow to see if I can't find myself a birthday present.

I'll post some pictures when I get home.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Happy birthday sweet Emily, happy birthday to you! I have been thinking of you all morning not realizing you were hooked up to the internet. Sorry there won't be a gift yet by the time you get back, I ordered something but it won't be here too soon. Maybe a little blubber for your birthday dinner?