Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Back from Denver






The conference in Denver this past week was a lot of fun. The part of Denver that I was in was really nice and pedestrian oriented, and we had great weather (perhaps a little too nice, because I got a bad sun burn). I flew in on Saturday so that I had the whole day to explore. Nicole, the fellow from North Carolina and I walked around town and went to the "People's Fair", which was similar to the Freemont Fair. They also had this really neat street art festival, where they closed down three blocks of street. People had designated plots about 6 by 6 feet where they could do chalk drawings. They were all really good! I wish that I had some of the pictures that Nicole took to post. People had 2 days to finish their works of art and then on Sunday night the street washer came in and cleaned them all off. Some were copies of famous artwork and others were originals. Supposedly anyone who wanted could pay to have a space, but surprisingly everything was really good. They also had a kids area where kids could draw pictures.

The conference itself was pretty interesting. My favorite talks were about an investigation of a measles outbreak on board an international flight, and another study about formeldihide exposure among morgue workers. While I was in Denver I also got to see John from Whitman who I hadn't seen for several years. He was pretty much his same old self.

On Thursday before I flew out I had a chance to do some more exploring, so I went to the art museum. Some of the statues reminded me of ones in the Seattle art museum sculpture park.

No comments: